Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Volery

Meaning: A flock or flight of birds, or a large aviary - Cotgrave:
A great cage, or coope wherein birds have roome ynough to flutter.
Usefulness: 2 (Mainly to trick people; I was quite excited when I saw this word, because I liked the idea of something full of voles.)

Logofascination: 2 (This might be coloured by my disappointment on discovering that voleries are not, in fact, full of voles, but it is an example of the quirks of word formation. From the French word voliere of the same meaning, in turn from voler, to fly, and etymologically unrelated to the vole.)

In the wild: Gets mentioned occasionally as an exotic collective noun.

Degrees: 2

Connections: volery - cage

Which is used in: Logopandecteision, The Epilogue. Sir Thomas thanks Cromwell for granting him parole (within the bounds of London) and thereby freeing him to write, since
it could not in that eclipse of liberty lie in my power to frame myself to the couching of one sillable, or contriving of a fancie worthy the labour of putting pen to paper, no more then a nightingale can warble it in a cage, or linet in a dungeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment