Thursday, November 15, 2012

Libanomancy

Meaning: divination by incense smoke.

Usefulness: 3 (It has some rather useful cousins, though: libaniferous - yielding incense, and libanophorous or libanotophorous - producing incense. Come Christmas, I'll be mentioning the libanotophorous Magi every chance I get.)

Logofascination: 1 (Libano is from the Greek for incense, and I think frankincense specifically, but can't quite confirm.)

In the wild: Like all the -mancys, it is mentioned in assorted new age fora - given the libaniferousness of every such shop I've entered, this seems quite sensible. Apparently there are ancient texts explaining what smoke patterns mean - while such things could well exist, I am sceptical of the references.

Degrees: 1

Connections: n/a

Used in: the -mancy chapter, XXXV in Book the Third, How Panurge consulteth with Herr Trippa. I suspect I'll eventually know this chapter by heart.
By libanomancy, for the which we shall need but a little frankincense.
Rabelais had d'encent, but if libano is related to frankincense in Greek, Sir Thomas would have known that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment